Disclaimer

The information on the Blog Posts reflects my opinions, personal suggestions and is not intended as medical advise. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. PVNS Success makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician.

PVNS Success does not recommend, endorse or make any representation about the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any specific tests, products, procedures, treatments, services, opinions, health care providers or other information that may be contained on or available through this web site.

PVNS Success is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, service or products the you obtain through this web site.


NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.



Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How To Manage Medical Bills


Whats Money Compared To Having Your Health

To be ill means that you will be paying a large amount of money in order to get well. Insurance is essential but when you aren’t able to work and income has ceased a small co-pay looks mighty big and can be stressful. I knew that with all of these unexpected bills I would have to put my money management skills to the test. I‘ve only paid the absolute minimum amount in order to obtain and continue all of my treatments. 
It has now been 6 weeks since surgery and most of the bills have arrived. I paid for all of my doctor office visits when they occurred. Now I have a yearly deductible to pay for 2011, pre-operative Ct, Xray and MRI bills, surgeon, hospital, laboratory and anesthesia fees. Physical therapy fees and of course I need to pay my yearly deductible for 2012. Radiation therapy has it’s own costs such as office visit, post operative Ct and MRIs in order to map a radiation plan. Then there will be daily radiation fees. Maybe you can see where I’m going with this. Note: Don’t wait over 6 weeks to contact billing departments or they start thinking that you are avoiding them. Which in truth you may be... but It’s always best for you to contact them vs them contacting you.
I’ve held off on making payment arrangements until the bulk of these bills have come in. Now it’s time to determine exactly how much money I squeeze out of my budget on a monthly basis. Then I look at how much I owe to each facility and equally divide out the money. I then call the creditors and let them know I would like to set up temporary payment arrangements and then renegotiate the terms when I’m able to return to work and give a realistic estimated time. Facilities need to know that you are committed to paying off your debt expediently but that it won’t do anyone any good if you commit to paying more than you have. Everyone can relate to having unexpected expenses but a predetermined amount must be paid consistently every month and then when you return to work the terms can be renegotiated. Until then assure them you are committed to paying the debt off and thank them for their patience and cooperation. Caution!! Do not under any circumstance (some places may strong arm you) agree to pay more than what you are able to because if you do you’re going to default and get yourself into trouble.
In my specific case I know that I’m going to run into even more medical expenses because they still need to find out why I am experiencing the original complaint that brought me into the doctor. If this is the case you must be even more conservative in your figures. Now it’s time to relax and refocus on healing, knowing that you’ve done everything within our power to keep your head above water financially.  

No comments:

Post a Comment