Disclaimer

The information on the Blog Posts reflects my opinions, personal suggestions and is not intended as medical advise. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. PVNS Success makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician.

PVNS Success does not recommend, endorse or make any representation about the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any specific tests, products, procedures, treatments, services, opinions, health care providers or other information that may be contained on or available through this web site.

PVNS Success is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, service or products the you obtain through this web site.


NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.



Saturday, December 17, 2011

Post-Op Day 2 & 3: Discharged


Stapel closure
Approximately 3 A.M. on day 2 they had to switch me to injectable Dilaudid which finally got the pain under control, pain scale 8. I only had to take a couple doses of Dilaudid. The fluid flowing from my knee from the Jackson-Pratt drain was beginning to slow down. This drain removes excess fluid from the surgical site... if removed too early a hematoma could form that may necessitate reopening the surgical site. During the evening I have been using the commode that is next to my bed making things much easier.  

I'm in a lot of discomfort pain scale 6-8 and now experiencing a lot of nausea from the narcotics so they have added Reglan and Zofran to help decrease the nausea.. Note to self: eat crackers to settle tummy prior to taking narcotics I was able to take a sponge bath but I feel very weak and not well at all. I just want this day to be over.


Post-Op day 2 late afternoon,  pain level is at a 4 and it's time to get the Johnson Pratt Drain pulled. I highly recommend taking your pain medication at least a half hour before the procedure primarily to help you relax. Melissa the PA explained to me that the drain has a flat end and that is what I will feel as it exits my skin. She took off the tape that was holding the drain in place and had me look away and concentrate on a good thought. I went to my happy place that I have created in my mind. It's located in a jungle with waterfalls, beautiful foliage and butterflies (Don't laugh a famous surgical hypnotist taught me to create this place and it works well when you need to refocus). I focused on my breathing and I felt the tube sliding out which wasn't painful just weird feeling and then a a one second momentary catch of the drainage end as it was exiting the skin. It was all done within 2-3 seconds. The catch is rather intense but it's over with almost before you can process the pain. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.


Post-Op day 3 and I'm so excited because I'm able to go home today and I feel well prepared to do so. I have missed my husband this week. I haven't seen him since Wednesday, the day of surgery because I didn't want him to spend 1 1/2-2 hrs in rush hour traffic in order to visit me after work, and that is one way. We talked on the phone a lot and it was kind of fun because it reminded me of when we were dating and would spend hours on the phone talking about everything and nothing. I haven't been away from him this long since we started dating over three years ago. He is literally my best friend and we have done nothing but laugh for three years.

We had planned to spend the rest of our lives together and were totally committed and didn't feel the need for marriage. My health began to decline and I was unable to get health insurance so he brought up the idea of marriage. After much discussion and time we were married on September 31 of this year and have never been happier. People get married for many different reasons, but his decision to marry me knowing that I wasn't healthy holds a very special place in my heart. He is such a happy, upbeat person who I draw so much strength from. We have been through a lot in our short time together. We don't take each other for granted and the challenges that we have faced only bring us closer. I'm not more committed being married but I do feel a closer bond with him and he with I.

Time to see my husband again and go home. I took my medication shortly before my departure. Steve placed the seat as far back as possible and adjusted the back to my comfort. I slowly put my bad leg in the car first and then slowly slid the rest of my body onto the seat. I placed a pillow behind my knee for support and used a small blanket for cushioning. I filled my ice bag just before leaving and placed it on my knee. I would also recommend a large zip lock bag in case you become nauseated on the way home. I was very grateful to have these provisions in the car with me. I was taken directly home and by the time I was getting set up in bed I was totally exhausted and wanted nothing more than to lay down.

No comments:

Post a Comment