Disclaimer

The information on the Blog Posts reflects my opinions, personal suggestions and is not intended as medical advise. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. PVNS Success makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician.

PVNS Success does not recommend, endorse or make any representation about the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any specific tests, products, procedures, treatments, services, opinions, health care providers or other information that may be contained on or available through this web site.

PVNS Success is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, service or products the you obtain through this web site.


NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.



Friday, March 15, 2013

Riding Accident Led To MRSA...How To Avoid Infection


Personal Experience With MERSA




Playing horse tag and racing our horses at the ranch seemed like a harmless activity, but on this particular day in the mountains of Montana, my life was nearly changed forever. Growing up I had been graced with the presence of horses in my life, and being challenged to a sprint was common place. I had accepted the challenge, and my horse and I were determined to win. With the cool Montana wind blowing in my face and thundering clap of my horses hooves hitting the trail, he had a misstep. I suddenly found myself being forcefully thrown to the ground and my horse tumbling along side of me.

I was panic stricken as my first thought was of my horses safety, but he had immediately returned to his feet and motionlessly stood next to my body on the ground. To much relief, my horse was fine but my wellbeing was yet to be determined.

As a search and rescue trauma medic, I proceeded to assess my own injuries. Even with a helmet on; the buzzing in my head made it obvious that I had sustained a concussion. Trying to draw in my first few breaths were near impossible since the impact had knocked all of the air out of my lungs. After a few seconds,  I was finally able to take a few short gasps. I began going through my mental check list. Conscious-check, Breathing-check, No numbness or tingling of extremities and neck in alignment-check, No obvious broken bones, however, my shoulder was questionable-check. A few minor scratches but no gushing blood-check

I appeared to be ok, and had escaped serious injury, even though I knew that many bruises and muscle strains would become obvious within the next few hours. Others helped me to mount my horse, because my injured shoulder was being uncooperative. We all returned to the stables and I went for x-rays, which turned out to be ok. I finished out a rather painful week at the ranch and I was anxious to return home.

 Back in Arizona, and terribly bruised, I noticed a minor scratch had become severely inflamed, even though I had been putting antibiotic cream on it. Within a few hours I began feeling ill and feverish so I went to the emergency department. As suspected I had a raging infection, but what I didn't expect to be told was that it was MRSA staph infection.

I was admitted to the hospital on IV antibiotics but they had little effect on the infection. Within a few hours, the once tiny scratch above my ankle had turned into an oozing hole of necrotized tissue. As I was being wheeled into surgery, fear began to take root as I realized that I could loose my foot and possibly my life. I had just moved to Arizona, I didn't know a soul and this was not a good time to be alone.

I awoke in recovery not knowing if my foot was still attached, but the nurse calmed my fears by letting me know that they were able to save the limb. I wasn't out of the woods yet, but I had my bags packed for the journey. After a few days had passed, I was discharged to outpatient wound care.

It took months of specialized care for my wound to heal, and in the process I learned much about infection control. Although I didn't contract my infection in the hospital, I had to learn how to avoid a hospital acquired infection, since I would be facing surgery for pvns in the near future.

You may realize that the hospital is a harbor for life and limb threatening bacteria, but have you thought about how they could find their way into your body?

General Information About Staph

First of all, studies show 25-30% of people in the general population carry staph without any signs or symptom and this statistic is much higher in hospital personnel.

Secondly, staph is easily passed on through physical contact, or even when people touch the same objects and surfaces, like silverware, towels and railings.

Precautions that I take 
  1. Shower with Hibiclens prior to surgery and continue until wound is completely healed. Hibiclens helps to get rid of staph bacteria on the skin. 
  2. Be conscientious of what has been touched by others, food trays, blankets, pens, crutches, physical therapy equipment, etc. 
  3. I’m not a germophobic but honestly you can’t wash your hands enough. Staff should always wash their hands (where you can see) prior to touching you or your items. If an item falls on the floor be aware that it is now contaminated by germs that hitchhiked on the soles of everyones shoes. 
  4. Upon arrival home, I immediately shed any clothes that I had on at the hospital, wipe down my possessions and sponge bath with Hibiclens.  
  5. Everyone becomes anxious to take a real shower after surgery, however, getting an incision wet "before the exterior incision is totally healed" puts you at great risk of infection.
I haven’t had any problems with infection since I began taking these precautions.

Links


Click here to read an informative article about staph infections.

1 comment: