Disclaimer

The information on the Blog Posts reflects my opinions, personal suggestions and is not intended as medical advise. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. PVNS Success makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician.

PVNS Success does not recommend, endorse or make any representation about the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any specific tests, products, procedures, treatments, services, opinions, health care providers or other information that may be contained on or available through this web site.

PVNS Success is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, service or products the you obtain through this web site.


NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.



Friday, August 24, 2012

PVNS Questions to Ask Your Doctor


Questions to Ask at  your PVND Doctors Appointment:

  • What type of experience do you have with PVNS? diffuse, nodular, open/arthro, clinical trials
  • What type of PVNS do I have? diffuse, nodular, mixed, intra-articular, extra-articular
  • When will biopsy be taken, how long for the results and will surgery be done at that time? 
  • How has this disease affected my joint? what damage is the mri showing if any?
  • What are my treatment choices and which is the best treatment for this type of PVNS?
  • Do you prefer open vs arthroscopic surgery and why? How many have you done? Outcomes?
  • Will I be given a nerve block along with general anesthesia?
  • Do you use staples or sutures to close the incision and why?
  • Knee joint: will a continuous passive movement machine be available after surgery? 
  • How long will I be in the hospital?
  • What will I be given for pain management?
  • When will I begin physical therapy and for how long?
  • Will I need crutches or any other equipment after surgery?
  • When will I be able to return to work and normal activities?
  • What are the risks of delaying or opting out of surgery?
  • What will your long term follow up plan for monitoring the PVNS be? Check ups/MRIs
  • Are there any complementary or alternative therapies that I should consider? radiation internal/external, chemo, cryotherapy, homeopathic?
  • What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment including long term effects?
  • Are there any clinical trials that would be appropriate for me?
  • Do you recommend any herbs or other supplements- such as fish oil or glucosamine?
  • What should I do if my symptom worsen?
  • What can I do to decrease the discomfort?
  • What can I do to preserve my joint?
  • What kind of out-of pocket expenses can I expect; are payment plans available?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I am newly diagnosed and these questions will be very helpful! I am in Montana and I don't think there are any experienced docs close by, so I will be interviewing in order to make the best decision possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comment and thank you. Many times we are not fortunate enough to have a physician who is familiar with pvns near our homes and we many not be able to travel. In those cases it's up to us to help educate our surgeons about this disease and what we are going to need from them in the long term. I know that there are physicians who are finding this site helpful because they don't have to spend hours searching for pvns related studies, trials and pertinent information. This sight can be used as a crash course to begin their education. I wish you the best in your journey and search for a good surgeon who will meet your needs.

    ReplyDelete