Disclaimer

The information on the Blog Posts reflects my opinions, personal suggestions and is not intended as medical advise. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. PVNS Success makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician.

PVNS Success does not recommend, endorse or make any representation about the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any specific tests, products, procedures, treatments, services, opinions, health care providers or other information that may be contained on or available through this web site.

PVNS Success is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, service or products the you obtain through this web site.


NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.



Saturday, March 10, 2012

Estimated Time of Recovery PVNS




Journal Of My Recovery From Open Synovectomy, Radiation, Manipulation, Recurrance of PVNS

November 7th MRI Diagnosis PVNS
November 15 Researching pvns, treatment options, finding surgeon. What will pvns mean to my lifestyle? Making a list of questions for surgeon.
Dec 3 met Dr DeComas, xray taken,  discussed if biopsy confirmed pvns she would switch from arthroscopic to open synovectomy.
Dec 14, 2011, Open front synovectomy left knee, 23rd surgery from other stuff
1 day post op in hospital, worked with PT department on crutch use.  36 hrs post op femoral block wore off. I was taking Tylenol, 10 mg Oxycontin ER every 12 hrs, Oxycodone 5 mg for break thorough pain, and injectable morphine every half hour and I was still crying like a baby. In the middle of the night switched to Dilaudid which controlled the pain but made me nauseated, Reglan & Zofran to control vomiting. pain 6-8. Drain still expelling much fluid.
2 day post op, Johnson Pratt drain pulled in late afternoon.2-3 seconds of intense pain.
3 day post op, discharged from hospital, medication, ice, many pillows useful to secure leg in drive home. Large zip lock bag for nausea. good leg and hip are hurting due to the extra stress.
Day 4 post op, feeling better, pain 4-,5, narcotics, lymph massage, ice, elevate. washed hair in kitchen sink and sponge bath 
Day 6 post op, pain 3-4, take meds prior to getting out of bed in a.m., tempted to use only 1 crutch at home but knee gives out without warning. need to get out of house.
1 wk post op, pain 2-3, 1st regular shower, reduced breakthrough narcotics, bruising is showing now, prefer to use 2 crutches in order to focus on correct strides. Good knee is aching due to the additional stress of compensating for pvns knee.
2 wk post op, pain 2-3,  stabbing pain begins, staples removed, unable to drive, use crutches only on outings. narcotics evening only to sleep. crutches in storage, resumed sex 
3 wk post op began physical therapy, beginning to drive short distance
4 wk post op ROM 56 degrees, frustrated with being gimpy, mentally anxious to return to my desk job but physically not ready. 
6 wk post op ROM 70 degrees, pain 2-3, stabbing pain intermittent, family stresses, financial stresses as bills start rolling in. Driving normal distances. Will make decreased monthly payment arrangements until return to work. 
7 wk post op, Radiation Treatment begins, 18 treatments at 200 greys per. 
8 wk post op 2/13/2012, Ready to return to work if not for RT, ROM 84 degrees, pain spiked  3-4 with increasing activity, good knee continues to hurt due to extra stress. 4 Radiation Treatments done, increasing fatigue, swelling. Rarely take narcotics.
9 wk, 9th RT session, feeling the cumulative effects, pain 3-5, slight burning sensation, vice grip feeling, heat at site, darkening of skin, swelling, fatigue is overwhelming. I had to back off on physical therapy. Compression, elevate, Ice, meds. ROM is still at 84%.
10 wk post op, At this point it's a mental game of keeping your attitude in check and not having too many pity parties.
12 wk post op radiation therapy finished. Physical therapist says one more month of pt. focusing on range of motion.
14 wk post op. My best range of motion prior to radiation therapy was 84 degrees. During radiation I lost 10 degrees, 2 weeks after rt stopped I’m at 81degrees. 
16 wk post op, 4 wks post radiation therapy ROM has been stuck at 81 degrees for 2 wks. Prior to RT ROM 84 degrees, lost 10 degrees during RT= 74 degrees, regained 7 degrees the 1st 2 wks post RT. 
18 wk post op, 04/18/2012, Knee manipulation under anesthesia followed up by aggressive physical therapy 4 times a week. Obtained 110° in surgery, had a reaction to morphine requiring iv benedryl. PT following day rom 110° with help 118°. Healing wise put me nearly back to week 2 post op, pain 5-6.
19 wk post op, 1 wk post manipulation, ROM 113° with help, pain level 4 with nerve pain feeling like a knife jabbing into my knee, with swelling, 10-12 hrs daily in cpm machine for 4 weeks.
20 wk post op, 2 wk 4 days post manipulation. ROM 113°, pain level 3. The nerve pain has stopped and my knee quickly stiffens up if I have it immobile for an hour. It is a very fine line between working it too much or too little. I continue to have problems with swelling. 
25 wk post op, 7 wks post manipulation 6/6/12. Surgeon is pleased with rom @ 113° which means I haven't really lost any rom since manipulation. She is hoping that the rom will continue to increase as the residual pain and swelling decreases  in the next six months, which will make it a year from surgery date. Pain level is 2-3 but decreases with moderate movement. It is a fine line between doing too much vs too little.  I finished physical therapy a couple of weeks ago since I have the motivation to do pt on my own, I  know all of the exercises that I need to do and I have easy access to a gym. My good knee has been hurting for nearly three months but is now constant and hurts nearly as much as pvns knee. Surgeon has ordered mri on pvns knee for  follow up and on the good knee to rule out pvns.
6 month post op follow up MRI 6/14/12. 9 week post manipulation 6/21/12. Per mri new diffuse thickening and rare intratendinous of pvns post surgical. Joint effusion and synovitis noted with additional hypointense focus superior margin which is new, decreased popliteal cyst however multiple foci of hypointensity present diffusely. Residual or recurrent pvns. My good knee continues to be swollen and painful awaiting mri results.  Constant dull pain level 5-7, diffuse swelling in pvns knee, minor swelling in non pvns knee, continuing exercises 3 time wk, ice, elevate. Range of motion at best 110° due to swelling. Pain may be much increased due to pain pump being reduced by 15%. 
06/03/2012, UTI treated with 4 days of Cipro, very very ill
06/28/2012 Bilateral steroid injections in the knees due to swelling and constant pain. Experienced a Cortisone flare increasing the pain for 2-3 days. Had a mild systemic reaction to the steroids causing severe anxiety, moodiness,  flushing of the face, slight difficulty breathing and increased heart rate, necessitating Valium to avoid asthma attack and tachycardia... this lasted  about 4 days. . The symptoms are slowly abating and my knees are feeling much better with very little swelling. Do your research prior to having steroid injections, systemic reactions are rare but can be quite severe and far outweigh the benefits of the shots. I'm unable to have the Cortisone shots again due to the reaction. 
07/08/2012,  2nd  UTI treated with 10 days Cipro, flank pain, very very ill
07/23/2012,  3rd UTI treated with Cipro, bad flank, abdominal pain, appointment with urologist 08/01/2012. Wondering if the subsequent infects have anything to do with the steroid injections.
07/30/2012, 1 month post steroid injection, pain level prior to steroid injections 5-7 nearly a month later it is now a 2-3, swelling is very much reduced. ROM estimate 120+. Knee continues to stiffen after being sedentary. Felt comfortable going down an escalator for the first time since surgery. The posterior knee cyst continues to enlarge causing minor discomfort. Knee constantly aches but actual pain is finally dissipating. My body feels very worn out probably due to all of the procedures and recurrent UTIs this past year. I had a dream last night that I had returned to work and I was so happy. Someday :-) The last 8 months has been more then challenging and I see it wearing on everyone around me. The battle becomes most fierst at the end.

08/01/2012, I saw the urologist appt, flow, nuclear study and cystoscopy scheduled. Been very ill and with less movement I'm not able to exercise my knee so it is stiffening more, heat is still coming off of it but from what I hear it is normal. Difficult to deal with pvns issues and other illness. 

14 comments:

  1. I just went through an open synovectomy of my left knee on 07/10/12 for PVNS... My first post op was today 07/25/12 where they told me I actually have lipoma aboresence... I will have another open synovectomy in 2 & 1/2 months on the back of the knee to remove the tumors there... Am nervous about doing this again... Way painful the first time... :/ .... Lol... Thank u for ur site it was really helpful to have a better idea of what to expect.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my name is Paola Prada , my mother had a surgery on August , Monday 8 , she is very sore, her knee is very swallow , very painfull , thank you for publish your experience , so that way we have an idea that her recovering will take time.

      Delete
  2. Btw if anyone wants to chat or email to compare notes with the anonymous person in the previous comment my email is prismfairy@hotmail.com... My name is Rebecca and I am 32 and the mother of three boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca thank you for your nice comments. I am jumping for joy that it turned out to be lipoma aboresence which has a low recurrance rate. The two disorders are very similar except what you have doesn't seem to have the hemosiderin and the over growth of tissue is cellularly different. I don't blame you for being nervous to have another surgery so soon. I would say it is comparable to finding out you are pregnant after giving birth just a couple months prior. Raising 3 boys I know you will handle it like a champ.

    I was told I would be back to my desk job after 6 weeks and I was rather angry at the miscalculation. I am one who hopes for the best but I want to be prepared for the worse That is when I decided to keep a detailed record of my recovery so others would have a realistic idea of how long recovery can take and some of the issues that they may face which could slow it down. It's important to remember that everyone heals at different rates and every surgery will differ on just how much has to be done within the joint. I've also had other health issues which I'm sure has slowed my recovery a bit.

    I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery. Thank you again for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting all of this detail. I will be having surgery to remove LPVNS from my right knee next month and my Dr. was very specific on what the surgery would entail, but very vague on the recovery. I was hoping to be back to work within 2 weeks, but it sounds like that will be unrealistic. I am 1.5 years out of chemo for lymphoma and I feel stronger than ever, but I have no idea how my body will heal from another surgery. I hope your recovery is coming along and you are feeling much better since your August post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you have also been on a long journey. If you have localized PVNS meaning nodular and not diffuse then I'm assuming that they will be doing arthroscopic surgery. If so fantastic because recovery is much much quicker. Depending upon what type of work you do...two weeks is pushing it but possible. Now if you also have radiation (which I'm not sure they would want to do given your previous history) you may get very fatigued returning to work during this treatment. If you have an open synovectomy I would say 6 weeks minimum for the average person. Yup I was told 2 week recovery which is insane for an open synovectomy. I strongly suggest to build the muscles in your pvns leg and that you have your vitamin D levels checked prior to surgery since 87% of the population is deficient and low levels are related to cellular regeneration. It may be helpful to read my recent post about vit D deficiency and PVNS. Best of luck to you. I am feeling a little bit better than in August but due to various medical issues my saga continues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice! My doc did say to get my leg as strong as possible before surgery, but didn't say anything about vitamin D. I do take daily vitamin D supplements though to help with absorbsion of calcium supplements, so hopefully that will help. I do have nodular, not diffuse, but he recommended full surgery vs. arthroscopic to make sure they get it all. I think with my history, even though he swore it's not related, they are going to biopsy it to make sure. Glad you are feeling at least a bit better. Hopefully your medical issues will be under control soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good and thank you for our comment. Be well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi CJ, been reading your blog/timeline. Just had my surgery last week. Seems like my timeline is following yours almost identically day for day. Thanks, this blog is helping me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that the blog has helped you. Happy Healing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a medium-marble sized lipoma on the inside of my right wrist, which I am having removed in a couple days.
    thanks
    Smita shrama

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey CJ my name is Earl. I was wondering if you had any before pic of your knee. I've been dealing with this for 8months now and they keep telling me baker cyst. Finally 7 hospitals latter and and god know how many surgerys. A cancer surgeon seen it and said it was a pvns diffused tumor. And have my first doc. App. With her on the 6th. I just graduated for corrections and was awaiting for academy but looks like that wont happen any time soon. My email is elarue76@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Recently the doctor has been removed the PVSN and I'm glad about that , my recovering is slow , painful , but my wish is to come back to my normal rutine I had before .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was very glad reading your experience thank you!

    ReplyDelete